dimanche 4 décembre 2011

Help Me -- I hate school

I have heard freighting statistics in the past on teenagers suicide rates. I also read numerous suggestions on what might cause them. My first book on that was surprisingly the Jehovah Witness excellent book: "Les jeunnes s'interrogent". I am certainly and positively in the opposite spectrum of theological understanding to the Watch Tower Enterprise (i.e. the Jehovah Witness organization), however that book was quite interesting and even positively educational. I guess that might be due to the fact that they didn't toy with theology too much in the process of writing it. Since then i have heard other reports on teenager suicide rates.

What i have never expected was what I read in this article:

"Scientists have identified many contributing factors [to teen suicide]: Discrimination, the number of sexual partners, substance abuse, being dumped by a romantic partner, parental divorce, child physical and sexual abuse, bullying and even excessive video-gaming play a role. Scholars at the University of Chicago's National Opinion Research Center have offered a novel contributing factor to teen suicide: high school."
My surprise was to see 'excessive video game', an 'active pre-marital sexual lifestyle' and 'high school' being among the contributing factors of the American teenager suicide's rate. I suspect if you live and educate your child in the USA or similar environment you might want to be more involved in your child life as to control those quoted factors above. Yeah, even highschool! Actually, since 2008 i have been thinking of the 'bien fonder' of homeschooling and i think that i am becoming more and more open to make that an educational system of choice for my kids in the future, depending on where i'll end up living in the near future.

In a non-so-related topic, i have never understood the logic of making a kid (primary and highschool student) to be entrapped in a classroom for a whole day. It never made sense to me either when i was in highschool, neither does it make sense to me now. In all my academic education and training (primary and high-school), i always studied for a duration of half day in a classroom except for my two years in the 2nd and 3rd year of highschool. Those two years didn't make me any smarter or did it?! I wonder if that makes other students any more smarter! Being confined in a classroom from early morning to late afternoon, years after years might not necessary have the assumed results. I have my reason to think that it might even limit a child ability to expand his/her horizon and true potentialities. When can they have time to go to the library to read other unrelated documents to their current studies? or do other activities that can contribute to their mental and intellectual opening? I wander.

When the Lord advised on how to teach a child to the Israelite, he said: "And these words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart; and you shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you SIT in your house and when you WALK by the way and when you LIE DOWN and when you RISE UP." Deuteronomy 6:7 - Bible.

I suspect it is the combining effect of multi-tasking that makes God's educational system, effective. But how does one have the time to be trained in multiple ways when s/he spends the quasi-totality of his time in using basically one sort of educational style? Me-Think!

Have a nice day and weekend in Jesus name.

P.S: For those who might be interested, here is a thread of discussion about Homeschooling vs Public School:

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire